I don't know how this novel ended up being omitted entirely from my education till now, but this was assigned reading for a class in law school and I'm so glad. The story is amazing and I found that I resonated with this story and the way it was told on so many levels (including but not limited to):
-As an American that still witnesses grievous vestiges of racism today;
-As a woman who lives in the blessed (thought still imperfect) aftermath of a feminist revolution;
-As a person who still remembers what it was like to be a child, and learn both beautiful and ugly things about the world around her;
-As a student of the law;
-As a sister;
-As a daughter;
-As a human.
Atticus' love for his children, household (Calpurnia included), community and his respect for human dignity is consistent throughout all areas of his life in this story, whether or not this love and respect was consistent with societal--even legal--norms. I think it was this consistency that I found the most admirable. There are some people that just seem to "get it." Atticus' character is of that breed. But he's not perfect, we see some of his weaknesses too.
But apart from the beautiful treatment of the main social issue that the book aims to address, the other thing I think I resonated with the most was the way Atticus interacts with his daughter: he lets her be her. And she begins to grow up able to think for herself as a result.
That said, I love the voice of his daughter telling the story, it deepens the narrative in so many ways, though one of the most poignant may be that we never know the change we are affecting and who is watching us and being molded by what they see in us. Our actions shape future generations more than we know--even if change comes far slower than we hoped.
I could say so much more, but I'll save it for class on Wednesday. Suffice it to say this is a must read and I'm sorry I hadn't experienced this amazing piece till now.
(Day 26)
-As an American that still witnesses grievous vestiges of racism today;
-As a woman who lives in the blessed (thought still imperfect) aftermath of a feminist revolution;
-As a person who still remembers what it was like to be a child, and learn both beautiful and ugly things about the world around her;
-As a student of the law;
-As a sister;
-As a daughter;
-As a human.
Atticus' love for his children, household (Calpurnia included), community and his respect for human dignity is consistent throughout all areas of his life in this story, whether or not this love and respect was consistent with societal--even legal--norms. I think it was this consistency that I found the most admirable. There are some people that just seem to "get it." Atticus' character is of that breed. But he's not perfect, we see some of his weaknesses too.
But apart from the beautiful treatment of the main social issue that the book aims to address, the other thing I think I resonated with the most was the way Atticus interacts with his daughter: he lets her be her. And she begins to grow up able to think for herself as a result.
That said, I love the voice of his daughter telling the story, it deepens the narrative in so many ways, though one of the most poignant may be that we never know the change we are affecting and who is watching us and being molded by what they see in us. Our actions shape future generations more than we know--even if change comes far slower than we hoped.
I could say so much more, but I'll save it for class on Wednesday. Suffice it to say this is a must read and I'm sorry I hadn't experienced this amazing piece till now.
(Day 26)
No comments:
Post a Comment