I guess it was almost 3 weeks ago now when I went to Duluth
with Ceciley for the day. A Sunday, I think. A lot happened that day (this for one thing), but I’m thinking of one small moment that I was brought back to
today--
Cec and I were walking out to the lighthouse, which makes a
small peninsula and provides a pretty view of the lake and shore. I was walking
along the sidewalk and something in me began to hum “These Thousand Hills” by
Third Day. Then something in me began to also grumble at God because there was
nary a hill to behold--something that this mountain loving soul has struggled
with for the last year. And I heard a quiet voice in my soul (that wasn’t me)
say: “That’s because maybe it’s time for a season of lakes in your life and not
mountains, darling.”
"Oh," thought I. I’ve heard that particular Voice before, and it’s never
wrong.
So I’ve been thinking about that moment for 3 weeks now. I
came to Minnesota with a good attitude, thinking I would love it and that I
would rock law school and be top of my class and maybe even transfer…none of
those things happened. In fact, Minnesota has been difficult all around. And
now Katie’s gone too….But I was reminded of my original resolve to love
Minnesota and so I’ve been praying about that.
“God, I will choose to call this home. Make me love it. I
want to do this.”
But I’ve also been thinking about the whole “lake instead of
mountains” thing too. I think there’s a metaphor in this, and I’ve been mulling
it over. So here’s what I wonder:
What if I’ve resonated with the mountains in part because
they’ve been representative of the struggles I’ve had and all the work that I’ve
had to put into where I’m going and figuring things out? What if I’ve gotten
used to a level of challenge and difficult in my life that God doesn’t want me
to maintain as status quo and maybe he actually wants to give me rest and let
Him do the path making for a bit? Like, maybe it’s time to sit by a lake
and…wait for it…REST. Granted, law school is no cake walk, but that’s not what
I’m talking about. The spiritual toil that has happened during the last years in which I have lived in Alaska have meant, in so many ways, one crisis after another.
I truly “grew up” in Alaska and figured out who I was as an individual there,
apart from my family. I built a life there. I followed Him and God
knows He led, but He sure led me up a few mountains. And the view was
amazing, but there is no denying that such a view had to be worked for.
Now, I’m wondering if this “lake” thing isn’t God saying,
“I’m about to hand you some stuff. Sit back and enjoy the lake. There will be
more mountains. But remember to be open to love the things that you’re not
familiar with. Try this lake thing, my dear.”
I don’t know, but this the idea that has been brewing, and
this week’s circumstances seem to corroborate this, I know I've already written about most of this, but just to reiterate:
-I got in the Compliance Externship
-My law mentor is from Cameroon,
practices International Law and speaks French
-I am now a part of the school’s
International Law Association
-I have a friend at school that
found out that I spoke some Italian and she’s willing to help me with it—she’s
fluent and got excited that she had someone to speak with.
All of this is just reiterating to me what I heard in Italy—“Traci,
don’t give up on the international side of you, I haven’t forgotten how I
created you.”
I didn’t really orchestrate any of this. I flailed for a
while and God worked it out and pointed me to the right people who pointed me
to the right opportunities. I think some crazy stuff is on the horizon and I
don’t think that necessarily means mountains for me to climb right now. I think that it’s
all Him right now.
So this lake thing, yeah…Ceciley’s birthday is this weekend
and I was invited to come up North to stay at her grandparents’ lake house for the weekend with the family.
This is my first Minnesota “lake life” experience that I’ve heard so much
about. Couldn’t be more timely. I’m loving it and who better to introduce me.
Have I mentioned that
God knew I’d need the Pund’s through law school? Thank God for family bonds
that go beyond blood.
And for lakes. Thank you God for the lakes. Teach me to love
this place and show me the lake life. Both here on earth and in your Kingdom.
I’m going out on that lake tomorrow, I hear the weather will be great. :)
(Day 10)
(Day 10)
No comments:
Post a Comment