So, for all my growing up years I was clearly an extrovert. I
was the social one in my little group of homeschool friends and I was the child
who looked my mother in the eye at 14 years old and informed her that I would
be going to school the next year because I felt I was shriveling up inside
being at home 24/7.
I had a deathly fear of being “weird” because I was
homeschooled. My generation was one of the first waves of homeschoolers in the
area where I grew up, so we were still very much a suspect group. (I’m glad
that the “institution” of homeschooling is much more respected now.)
“Well, we’re going to do what God wants us to do next school
year so you don’t get to decide, Traci.” Responded my mother to my resolved
announcement.
“Well, He’s going to want me to go to school, so you’ll
see.” I (disrespectfully) retorted.
Actually, that summer ended up being a turning point in my
spiritual life because that was the first time I really had to surrender to Him
something I really wanted. The outcome was amazing, but that’s another story.
The point is, at this point in my life I was very much driven by my
extroversion.
Looking back, I can now see that so much of my
extroversion was driven by my need for external affirmation of who I was. I was
constantly seeking attention with my chattering, opinions, young “wisdom” and whatever--and not just from my peers, from adults too. (As a side note, one thing about
homeschooling is that you spend a lot more time around adults than most other
kids, and sometimes more time around adults than people your age. As a result, to
this day I’m often more comfortable around people older than me than around my peers.
Not even kidding.)
But for young me this wasn’t healthy. It actually created some patterns
in me that eventually destroyed the closest friendship of my childhood. Insecurity, pardon
my language, is a b*tch. I was so deathly afraid of being “weird” that I
watched everyone around me in any public setting like a hawk: how they dressed, how
they acted, how they talked, and I did my best to blend in as best as I could.
I really figured it out eventually, I think, but during that journey God spoke
something to me that I’ve never forgotten:
“You’re supposed to be different, darling. But you’re
supposed to be different because you’re Mine, not because of the way you’re
educated. So get used to being ‘different.’”
That began a journey of finding my identity in Him instead
of letting my external circumstances dictate how I see myself. This journey is
still in process, and I daresay it will forever be, but I’ve come a long way.
That said, one of thing things that has changed the most powerfully about me is my extroversion. I think it’s fairly safe to say that I’m no longer really an extrovert. By Myers-Briggs standards I am still technically “extroverted,”
but this girl no longer recharges around others—I NEED my time to myself. And I'm actually SO glad for that now.
For a while I thought maybe the pendulum had swung too much and
I was just becoming selfish (still a distinct possibility) but then I realized
what had fundamentally changed in me: I was no longer looking to the people around
me to validate me to the same extent as when I was growing up. I was looking inward
and upward now for that need fulfillment and that felt good.
This realization has made me look at the entire introversion/extroversion thing a little differently. I think our society tends to praise extroverts and misunderstand introverts. Or at least that's the perspective I absorbed. Obviously, either end of the
spectrum can mean insecurities manifested in unhealthy ways but for me my own journey
sheds light on this particular nuance of the whole introvert/extrovert thing….I
wonder if we all dealt with our insecurities if we would be more comfortable
being alone (extroverts) and being with others in a healthy, positive,
meaningful way (introverts). Neither of these statements should be taken to
mean that introverts aren’t ever comfortable around people and extroverts are
always afraid of being alone. I’m simply saying that for me, I became way more
balanced when I started to figure out where my identity was supposed to lie.
What if we all did that?
What if we all did that?
That’s all.
(Day 11)
No comments:
Post a Comment