Wednesday, August 26, 2015

14 Hours

14 hours in a car today (the majority of which were spent in Nebraska) leave me with surprisingly little to say at the moment. But discipline says that I must articulate something.

I finished Anna Karenina today (on audiobook). I have so many thoughts, but I couldn't begin to start now. I'm still processing but there are themes of unrequited feminism, unfulfilled and misdirected life purpose, family, etc all going on in my head. And a few unanswered questions regarding Anna's death and its effect on Vronsky too.

It's so hard not to see God in literature anyway, and then the Russians so passionately and wonderfully weave His message into their stories. I feel as if I am a "sister soul" of Dostoyevsky (as the French would say) and now I'm beginning to know Tolstoy as well. Tolstoy, I will say, does a jarring and impeccable job of getting inside a woman's head. It makes me wonder if what we think are female struggles are more just human than they are female and if maybe few men are willing to be honest about it. Maybe we'll never know. But Fyodor and Leo are two individuals to whom I one day hope to address myself on the other side of things for we will have much to discuss.

Anyway, I can now watch the movie. I'm looking forward to it. But that's really all--because I'm looking forward to bed too.

(Day 8)

No comments:

"...of all our maladies, the most savage is to scorn existence."

~Montaigne~