I’ve recently realized something about my prayer life: It
was born out of my “control issues.”
I know, weird.
And before I say more, I should probably explain that I
consider my prayer life the most important and intimate part of my
multi-faceted relationship with God. Like any relationship, there’s a lot to
it. But the bread and butter of my relationship with God truly is prayer.
Prayer happens in a staged setting in my mind. I’ve joked
before that it’s my own “Mind Palace” (for you Sherlock fans). It’s sort of
fitting. In my mind, when I’m talking to God, I’m in the Tabernacle that is
outlined in the book of Exodus where God met with His People. What’s most meaningful
for me is that it’s the first place that God organized to regularly meet and be
in relationship with the Israelites, and it
traveled with them wherever they went in the desert.
The Tabernacle was portable, and so is my Mind Palace. The
idea of praying with such a mechanism came from my father, who has his own
place that he goes to talk to God. When I was in my early twenties, I did a
bible study on the Tabernacle and it changed my life. I understood God so
differently through that study about Moses and when I began to pray using my
active mind to channel my imagination for the purposes of conceptualizing my
relationship with God. I am less distracted (still happens) and more
purposeful. I have a whole regimen that I go through that takes me eventually
onto my face, at the feet of my Father, in the Holy Place—the innermost chamber
of the Tabernacle.
IT’S AMAZING.
Anyway, I’ve been thinking lately about what prayer has
become to me and how. There was a time when I felt like God asked me to be
willing to accept the “gift” of “intercession.” I use quotes because first,
there’s all kinds of controversy around the word “gift” as far as spiritual
things go and I don’t care to dive into that. Second, I say “intercession” because,
well, so far it has ended up looking nothing
like what I thought. I’ll come back to that.
So, my prayer life—and consequently my spiritual life—took off
in my early twenties. Incidentally, that’s when I left home for the first time
in my life. I graduated college at 22 and couldn’t wait to get out the door and
travel. And I did. And…in so doing my
little homeschool-girl bubble got popped. I didn’t have the support system I
always had in my family and, while I had a good handle on who I was (or wanted
to be), one only learns how to actually make that interact with the world by
living and erring. And both of those things I did too.
So, when I left home, compared to the stable (and incredibly
blessed) upbringing I’d been given, my life spun out of control. I had to figure out how to be an adult and who I
wanted to become. And in the end, I had chosen to leave 22 years of home behind
me to do that….
So, I am…an oldest child. To a T (no pun intended), and
everything that comes with it:
·
Perfectionist
·
Bossy
·
Academic
·
Perfectionist (oh, did I already say that one?)
·
CONTROLLING
It’s that last one that I don’t think I’ve really recognized
in myself until recently. Here’s why:
Somehow, in God’s grace, I figured out years ago that when I
couldn’t control things, I had to take it to God and ask Him to. Okay, I read
that and it sounds cliché and I hate that. But what I mean is that, somehow, by
the grace of God something in me knew that getting on my face was the
healthiest way I could channel my desire to manipulate and control others and my
life. I didn’t but I did want to control others and my life. I mean, I had it
figured out. But by the grace of God something deep down in me viscerally knew
it wasn’t possible and I had to try something else.
I’m really not exaggerating when I describe some of the
seasons of life that taught me to PRAY
as blood, sweat, and tears. It looked like so, so many tears. Many different
carpet marks on my face, lots and lots of smoothies and mugs of broth while
fasting and lots, and lots…and LOTS of filled journals. But, not surprisingly,
for the last decade my experience has been that said blood, sweat, and tears is
all well invested because what ends up happening more often than my
circumstances or situation changing is—I change.
If I’m praying, in earnest, for what Jesus told me to—that is that God’s
Kingdom and God’s Economy would come here to this filthy, beautiful Earth and
His Will be done here as it is in Heaven—whatever Heaven really looks like—then
I truly change.
I start to see things differently. I start to want different
things.
I start to want to get up early in the morning to spend time
with God because I hate the way I feel the days that I don’t. I start to want
to wait to make a decision instead of just plowing ahead and doing what I think
is best. I start to see people differently, I start to see past ugly situations
and start seeing a different realm of spirituality beyond. One that Redeems
where it’s permitted to. And…well, sometimes that vantage point is incredibly confusing.
But it’s always exciting.
I am a completely different person than I was a decade ago. I
say that with trepidation knowing that, ironically, though I see all the amazing
work God has done in me these last 10 years, I am now more aware of my humanity
and weakness that I ever have been in all of my life. (In reality, some of that’s
healthy and some of it isn’t—I’m still figuring that out. That’s a different blog
post.)
But here’s where the real epiphany happened the other day.
For so many years, as I would pray over situations and life, I would sometimes
see situations change but I more often saw myself change (yes, already talked
about this, see above). But this is the amazing thing: recently, I’m starting
to see more of both. I think that
means that for once, and maybe it’s me being so aware of my own weakness and
raw humanity, I might be more in step. COULD IT BE?!?!?!?!? I’m starting to see
Him work in circumstances in some incredible ways. Maybe I’m actually praying
the things that God wants me to pray for His Kingdom and I’m starting to grasp “intercession”
in the way He intended for me. (?!?!?!?!?!?!)
Maybe. Either that or I just have had a powerful couple of
months, I don’t know. It’s not comfortable, certainly, because humility rarely
is, but I have to say that it’s amazing what’s happening when I get out of God’s
way and I just start asking Him what He’s doing and if I can help. It’s
exciting-hard. Yep, it’s a (hyphenated) word now.
I don’t know how long this season will last because, like
everything else in life, my pride seems to ebb and flow. For now, though:
God I ask that You’d
continue to show me who I am and Who I’m not. I’m a mess right now, and I’m
sitting in the middle of a lot of mess that I’m not sure how much I created.
But, I see You moving. And I want to help if I can—and should. I’ll be here and
I’ll be talking to You about what I see. Just glance my way every once in a
while to remind me You haven’t forgotten that I’m here?
I’ll be here. Sorting
through this mess and healing, trying not to rush the process and praying,
praying, praying for Your timing not mine.
If the last 3 years
have taught me anything it’s that You do way better work than I do. Let me get
out of both of our way.
No comments:
Post a Comment