Saturday, December 14, 2019

We Faithless

I was humming along with a familiar Christmas carol the other day and was struck by how it was addressed to the "Faithful."

That's not all of us. That's not any of us, if we take into account the sum of our days.

I love reflecting on Advent. If I'm honest, for some reason I connect with this season for more than any of the other Christian moments throughout the year. So, I try to spiritually capitalize on that.

I've never done this before, but I rewrote some of the lyrics to the hymn, just to remind myself that Advent--that baby--was not just for the "faithful" but for the "faithless" on their worst days too. He fears no man's doubt or straying.

O Come All We Faithless

O come, all we faithless, burdened and in mourning!

O come we, O come we, to Bethlehem
We come to behold Him

Born the King of Angels

O come, let us behold Him
O come, let us behold Him
O come, let us behold Him

Christ the Lord!



God of Creation, Savior of our World 

Lo, He abhors nor spurns no earnest doubt

Very God

Begotten, not created

O come, let us believe Him
O come, let us believe Him

O come, let us believe Him
Christ the Lord!



Sing, choirs of angels, sing in exultation

Sing with we sojourners of these earthly curves!

Glory to God
All glory in the highest

O come, let us adore Him
O come, let us adore Him

O come, let us adore Him

Christ the Lord!

No comments:

"...of all our maladies, the most savage is to scorn existence."

~Montaigne~