Thursday, July 23, 2009

Studio Dialogue II

“I’m getting to the point where I think I’m getting used to it, You know?” The Canvas stretched her little self a bit while opening yet another dialogue with her beloved Artist.

“Used to what, my dear?” He replied.

“Um...used to not knowing what exactly You’re doing on Your side. I guess that’s how you’d put it. But that doesn’t mean I like it. Though I wish it did mean that."

Smiling, the Painter nodded His head, intimating that He understood where she was coming from but still quiet.

“Like, every once in a while I get glimpses of what You’re doing. But really, they’re more like glimpses of what You were doing when a certain color was happening or a texture was being made, like we were talking about before. And then, it’ll make a bit of sense why I needed to go through it and it makes me so grateful that I did.”

She took a little breath and tried to think about her words for a moment before she went on.

“So, I guess what I’m saying is that I love it when You sometimes show me just a little sliver of the image that I am right now. Like You said before, I’ll never know what I’m going to be until I’m on Your side of things or even the whole of the picture that I am now. But, I love it when sometimes You reveal to me a little piece of how I look to You so far. And it just seems like after something hard that we do, I get those moments--like, You let me have them. It’s as if it’s just what I need to get through the next...whatever it is. And thank You so much, by the way, Master. I don’t know if I’ve ever said that before.”

The Painter smiled and his countenance grew more and more creatively pensive. The Canvas was observing the beautiful changes written across His features when He spoke.

“Let me tell you something about yourself. I think you’re ready for me to more fully articulate this to you.” He paused for a moment as if to contemplate how best she would connect with what He was trying to say.

“The way I made you is that you tend to approach the details of a situation via the big picture. In other words, you like to start with the ‘big picture’ and then work your way down through the the details and figure out inventively how to make that bigger image fit together. This is a beautiful quality in relating to those around you--and I gave that gift to you for a reason, but part of your journey with Me is learning that My process with you doesn’t work that way. I am the Master and Prescient of your Greater Picture. It’s hard for you because you want to start at the end and work out your own way in the means--or at the very least be in the loop about all the details of of them. And that’s not possible right now.”

A peaceful awe filled the little Canvas’ heart when she heard her Master’s expression of this principle apparently innate and maybe unique in her. It was her turn to remain a little wordless as she began to try and wrap her consciousness around what He was saying while He continued.

“But it belongs to my character that I do know the End and ends of every last thing and situation--for I am omniscient but I still choose and love to experience every last dimension of the said means. You’ll never be omniscient as I am, little one, but it is my desire that in our relationship you’ll learn to trust Me with all of your ends, and just experience the means in Me, to the fullest. Remember that I painted my Son on the wall over there...”

He paused again as both of their eyes were naturally drawn to the most wholly exquisite of all the paintings in the little studio, and proceeded to complete His thought of the moment: “...so that you might have life and the process that you’re in, and that you might have it, like I said, to the fullest. He made that possible.”

She glanced back toward the marks in the Master's hand and recalled a recent conversation about how that same beautiful painting fit into the story behind His scarring.

“Even more, dear one, just as I am painting you much like the image of my Son--and just as He is the image of Me--in the same manner, I wish for you to emulate the image of My character the way He does in His portrait. This area of My character is no exception and I want You to understand that I give you those moments that you described so that you might remember to trust Me, like you said, when it’s hard. I want you learn to experience the means to an end in a fashion worthy of my Son’s image, and be able to fully relinquish all of your ends to Me.”

This time a slightly deeper breath was due the little Canvas before she could reply to any of the wisdom the Master had just related. Colors shone and reverberated to the onlooker’s eye while she sorted through her thoughts and emotion.

“Well, Master, I thought I was becoming a little more content in this area, but I see now that I’m not quite at the place that You’re talking about. I’m so glad You just told me all that. I’ve got a long way to go, huh?”

The Painter chuckled. “Yes, my dear. But remember that a part of Me being able to experience all the means while knowing the ends like I just explained, is that I really enjoy your process as much as I look forward to your completion. I hope that you can too, one day.”

She sighed. She felt like she was always sighing, but it was a good thing, she supposed. It usually meant she was learning.

“You know, I’m not sure what You’re painting at this very moment, Master, but it’s not as painful at the moment as that last color was.”

“Well, don’t assume that I’m done with that color, love. Like I said, trust Me.”

“Yes, yes, yes. I’m sorry...there I go again. I guess I just meant that some of the techniques that You work out on me are tougher than others. And what You’re doing right now doesn’t hurt as bad as the pain last time, remember?”

She knew He did, because she watched Him hurt as well whenever she was in pain. “Although, I do get pangs of it every once in a while.” She added.

“Yes, honey. A part of my role as your Artist is knowing what you can handle at any point. I’d love you to know and remember always that whatever pain you are going through--I’ve given you every resource you need to get through it the way that you should, and by that I mean the best way. Remember best?”

“Yeah....Most of the time I remember best. Or maybe just some of the time.”

The Painter laughed, communicating to her once again how much he adored her candor.

“I want to so bad, Master!”

“I know You do!” He responded, beaming. “But just appreciate the process.”

“So, Master...?”

“Yes, my dear?”

“So, whatever I’m going through You’ve weighed, and know I can bear it unto best--but is it true that You’ve planned it all in advance?”

“Yes indeed. However, do you remember when we talked about how you have to let Me work My process out in You?”

“Um, yeah. You said that sometimes I may let other things work themselves into my journey that may not be Your best for me.”

“Right.” He nodded. “But also remember that I will still nonetheless work all of those things into your image for the good because you love Me.”

“You’re amazing, Master.”

Emotion flashed across His face and she felt like she couldn’t adore Him any more than she did. But it continuously astounded her, too, that her love for Him grew deeper daily. This then lead her to contemplate for a moment how her Master Artist was the biggest living paradox that she knew. Even though it frustrated her at times, she also loved it and was so glad that He was such a thing.

“I want to spend the rest of my journey and beyond getting to understand this and You, Painter.”

“I’m so glad, my love. That’s what you’re meant for. And that’s what will make you happiest, even though it’s counterintuitive. Keep persevering, I love you.”

“So...when’s the next hard color coming?” She precociously inserted, causing the Painter to roar with laughter.

“Oh, honey! That is not for you to know either! You know that.

It was she who beamed this time. “I know, Master. I just thought I’d try.”

And then, as most of their conversations seemed to end, His eye glimmered just a bit and He almost imperceptibly winked at her, His hand not skipping a beat of His work.

No comments:

"...of all our maladies, the most savage is to scorn existence."

~Montaigne~