Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Humility?

My mind has been dwelling often lately on the subject of "humility". That's, I guess, a way to say I've been thinking about it a lot that sounds like I'm not taking personal responsibility, though I do. Whatever.

I'm sort of struggling to define it. It's funny because it's one of those things that everyone knows when they see it, and they know when it's not there, but it's hard to articulate. And it's something that I deeply desire to attain in my life. I want to "know" it in the butterfly way. The way that it works itself out into my life. So, here is my "humble" (couldn't resist) attempt to but the idea into words:

I think that true humility is being able to be open, honest, and vulnerable about one's faults. It's also being confident and secure in one's strengths in such a way that doesn't draw undue attention to them.

Still brewing and thinking on this one. Maybe more to come.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Derek and I had a long conversation about truly listening to another person with an open mind and heart - truly. Not needing them to back up their thought with ten logical reasons, or to prove themself worthy of being listened to... but to just take a person at face value and respect what they have to say simply as is because they are another human being. Someone who is humble can do that. I realized I have a really hard time. There are so many subtle ways we can think of ourselves as better without even realizing it. Humility realizes pride and chooses to die to it. Pride never realizes itself, does it. What do you think?

"...of all our maladies, the most savage is to scorn existence."

~Montaigne~